lookup timeouts

Ryan Permeh rrpermeh at rconnect.com
Thu Jan 20 22:19:23 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <38873248.B29F7658 at rconnect.com>,
> Ryan Permeh  <rrpermeh at rconnect.com> wrote:
> >I'm having some trouble with our main nameserver:
> >
> >the  setup:  solaris 2.6, bind 8.2.2p3, about 850 zones loaded locally,
> >allow-query is set to any.
> >
> >the problem:
> >we have a single domain(it may be more, but no other domain has come to
> >out attention) that will time out on any query to our nameserver.  Our
> >secondary and tertiary nameservers can find this domain fine, but when
> >our primary does a lookup on it, it times out.  I have used ndc to
> >perform a named_db.db dump, and have found most of them right in the
> >cache part of the dump, including the SOA for the domain we are having
> >trouble with.
> >the weird part is this:  a complete shutdown and restart will allow
> >lookups for this domain to happen correctly for a while, but a HUP will
> >not.
>
> What domain?  Most likely, there's a communication problem between your
> server and one of the servers that this domain is delegated to.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
> GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

The domain that doesn't resolve is corecomm.net.  I thought it might be a
connectivity problem, however the following  is true:
1. secondary and tertiary can resolve it
2. a stop and start of bind on the primary allows resolving for about 3
hours(sometimes longer).

we are daily cold restarting the name server(kill then start), as an attempt to
aleviate this, but i  doubt bind actually needs a restart, since it is only  one
known domain that we are having trouble with.

one strange item: at the nic level, the primary and secondary nameservers are ns1.
and ns2.megsinet.com, and the actual NS records for the domain are ns1. and
ns2.corecomm.net.   However, i bleeive they both resolve out to the same IP(when i
can resolve corecomm.net addresses, anyways).  Could this be an issue?

Ryan Permeh, IS Engineer, Rural Connections