Auto secondaries.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 20 21:44:21 UTC 2000

Steven Sporen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this has been asked, but is there a way to have a secondary
> accept new domains from a primary of a certain IP address, meaning you
> don't have to maintain the secondary? It would auto create the domains
> on the notify from the primary.

In theory, if one really required "on demand" slave-creation, one could
just have something -- on a dedicated channel? -- watch the log files for
NOTIFY's and, as they are received, create new slave definitions as
necessary. I don't know if anyone has implemented such a thing. Bear in
mind, though, that, as "unreliable" UDP packets, NOTIFY's are never a
sure thing.

I have a nightly job on each slave which scans the namespace hierarchy
looking for new zones it should slave, and old/deleted zones it should
stop slaving. This is sufficient for our needs: a little temporary
lameness doesn't hurt.

- Kevin