Wildcard for Reverse Lookups??

nss## at vnet.net nss## at vnet.net
Thu Jan 20 02:28:21 UTC 2000

Hi All!

My company has an 'external' DNS server that just lists the bare essentials.
We only have a few A and PTR records available to the Internet.  So far
this has been working OK.

There are times when some of our internal clients will go to sites that do
reverse lookups.  Because we do not have an external PTR record for every IP
address on our internal network, the reverse lookup fails.  Thus the client is
unable to complete either the FTP or HTTP download.

The last thing I want to do is to put all 30,000 internal PTR records on the
external DNS!   Is there a way to configure a 'wildcard' for PTR records?

Currently we are running Bind 4.9.4 on AIX 4.2.1.

Any help would be greatly apprecicated!

Thanks in advance!

Neal....
nss at vnet.net