not appending local domainname?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jan 20 17:19:51 UTC 2000

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 04:01:47PM -0500, temp at mail.ccminfo.nl wrote:
> I got two mailservers, one configured as an unknown local user relay, the other one somewhere far inside the local network.
>
> On the unknown local user relay runs bind.
>
> When someone sends a message with a mistake (e.g. wxs.n in stead of wxs.nl ) the nameserver on the unknown local user relay appends the local domainname and then sendmail looks up the MX records, finding that it points back to itself, and sends an error email to root.
>
> I am root, and I don't like error emails.
>
> Is it possible to configure bind NOT to append the local domainname to a name which cannot be found?
>
> Cheers,
> Jeroen.

I suspect that removing your domain name from the resolv.conf file
would do this, but that would be MOST unwise.  Many other things would
probably stop working.

Better, program sendmail.cf to do something more intelligent with
non-existent domains.  I assume this is only happening because of a
"*	MX" record in a firewall that you have?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B