How to Register Domain to Linux on my CableModem (RoadRunner)

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Thu Jan 20 07:03:11 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 09:27:03PM -0500, Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Huh? Since when does Network Solutions know, much less care about, the
> "owner" of the address your nameserver is on? This is news to me. We used to
> have almost all of our marketing domains (4adodge.com, etc.) hosted by an
> advertising agency: we owned the domains, someone else entirely owned the
> IP addresses of the nameservers. Didn't bother Network Solutions a bit.

Difference in terminology - NSI cares about the domain the nameserver is in,
not it's IP address.

In order to create a new host entry in the NSI system, you need to send mail
as the owner of that zone.  ie, if I want to register a domain with a
nameserver of ns1.example.com (assuming that host doesn't already exist in
NSI's system), I must be the zone contact for example.com in order for them
to process the domain request and add the new host entry.  Or I have to send
in a separate host template to setup the host entry, but that's a notoriously
buggy process (ie I've never had it work, I always just send in updates with
a domain template).

However, I don't believe they do reverse lookups on the IP addresses, so
you could probably just makeup host names in the zone you're registering
and point them to the IPs your disparate nameservers.  <shrug>

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton                http://www.samurai.com/
Core Competency