forwarder and allow-query

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 20 03:28:46 UTC 2000

allow-query isn't permitted with zones of type forward. You should be
seeing

    'allow-query' option for non-{master,slave,stub} zone
'ch.firm-internal.com'

messages in your syslog about this, followed by the "did not
validate" message. The documentation also indicates that this
combination is not supported.

If you don't want the full burden of being a slave, you could be just a
stub instead. From the documentation, it would appear that allow-query
is permitted with stub zones.

*Why* the combination is forbidden, I'm not entirely sure. Possibly it's
because the forwarding mechanism is currently doing double duty, i.e. to
enable forwarding, or -- with the "forwarders {}" syntax -- to *disable*
forwarding for a particular domain hierarchy, and maybe it's considered
too messy to try and figure out which ACL would apply at what level of
the hierarchy...

- Kevin