named-xfer timeout again

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 20 02:53:41 UTC 2000

Mark Jeftovic wrote:

> Well I never heard from anyone else last time I posted but it just did it
> again to me, using 8.2.2PL5, a named-xfer timed out and named shut down
> entirely...
>
> Jan 18 17:19:30 fido named[28267]: zone transfer timeout for "example.com"; \
> pid 0 killed
> Jan 18 17:19:30 fido named[28267]: named shutting down
>
> Like I said before, RH6.1, running 2.2.12-20 kernel, have many other
> nameservers and this never happens on them.
>
> Ideas anyone?

Is that really "pid 0", or did you "anonymize" it? If it really says "pid 0", it
would appear that your named is munging its internal data structures, since pid 0
is "impossible", and as an argument to kill() usually means "send the signal to
me and all processes in my process group". This also explains why named
subsequently shuts itself gracefully, since it just kill()'ed itself.

The root cause is anyone's guess. Try 1) checking/correcting your
platform-specific compile settings and recompiling, 2) reporting the bug to ISC,
3) cranking up your debugging level -- maybe it'll tell you something useful.

- Kevin