Minimizing cache to allow multiple named processes on one machine

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jan 19 23:03:43 UTC 2000

In article <388617a0.55381226 at news.xs4all.nl>,
Joost Stegeman <stegeman at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>My questions:
>- How do I minimize the cachesize of a named process?

You can use the "datasize" option in named.conf.  When named reaches this
limit, it will crash.  You can make your system automatically restart it
when this happens.  If they're only authoritative for a small number of
domains, this restart shouldn't take long.

>- Is this a realistic scenario or would I be better off putting a lot
>of memory in the machine and have all of the named processes build
>their own cache?

Since you can't prevent them from building their own caches, this may be
the best solution.  The central server's cache will basically be the union
of the caches of all these processes.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com