what should PTR recs look like for multihomed hosts

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jan 19 19:04:05 UTC 2000

In article <3886070B.3BD8999D at msdw.com>,
Anthony Golia  <Anthony.Golia at msdw.com> wrote:
>If my A recs look this for host foo:
>
>mydomain.com:
>foo     A       10.10.232.11
>                10.10.132.11
>foo-e0  A       10.10.232.11
>foo-e1  A       10.10.132.11
>
>What would most folks have the PTR recs look like?

You should have PTR records pointing to foo-e0 and foo-e1.  Don't bother
with PTR records pointing to foo.

>						     Does anyone know of
>any probs. using multiple PTR recs for a host?

There shouldn't be any serious problems, but I recommend against it.  It
will be unpredictable which name will show up when you do a reverse lookup.
If you look up 10.10.232.11, sometimes you'll get foo (and you won't know
which foo it's referring to) and other times you'll get foo-e0.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com