BIND 4 -> 8 gotcha

David Hedley david at inty.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 10:28:58 UTC 2000

I've recently upgraded from BIND 4 to BIND 8 (8.2.2-P5 to be precise) and
I've noticed that 'named' no longer binds to INADDR_ANY:53 (i.e. the
wildcard IP address), instead choosing to bind to each IP address on each
interface specifically. This creates a big problem if, as in our case, the
DNS server running 'named' handles dial-up PPP links where the interfaces
are coming up, going down, being assigned different IP addresses etc all the
time. I have managed to work around this by specifying 'query-source address
* port 53' in the named.conf, which makes 'named' bind to *.53, however this
is a bit of a hack.

In short, _why_ doesn't 'named' bind to the wildcard address?, and is there
an obvious solution I'm missing (apart from patching the source)?

This is on FreeBSD 3.2 and 3.3

Cheers,

David
--
Dr David Hedley, Head of Development
Intelligent Network Technology Ltd, Bristol, UK

This email has been virus scanned using Sophos Anti-Virus by intY (www.inty.net)