Newbie Q - Can't resolve external queries

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 19 03:29:39 UTC 2000

If you have no direct access to the Internet from your nameserver, then in
order to resolve Internet names, you'll need that access opened up on the
firewall, or you'll need to use a forwarder to resolve those names for you.
I don't think your nslookup test necessarily proved that you can query the root
nameservers directly, since from your description it sounds like you just set
your server to a.root-servers.net and then immediately switched to an internal
server by its IP address -- this wouldn't have necessarily sent a query to
a.root-servers.net. For a better test, try bouncing a few different NS queries
off of a root server and see if you get answers. Even if you have access to the
root servers, however, unless you have full access to the Internet DNS, your
nameserver won't be able to follow the referrals it gets back from the roots.
The suggestion that you add the company.com nameservers to your hints file
fails for the same reason, assuming they return the same kinds of referrals.

It's also not clear what you mean when you say you can't nslookup to the
company.com servers. Do the queries time out (possibly an internal
firewall-rule or routing problem)? Do you get referrals, i.e.
non-authoritative, 0-answer responses to your queries (apparently recursion is
turned off or not permitted to you on those servers)? Are the queries refused
(ACL problem on the server)? Or do the servers just claim that the names don't
exist (maybe they don't have Internet visibility, only visibility to an
internal root, or maybe nslookup is obscuring the real error, try debug mode or
appending a dot to the lookup)? The type of failure is important here. If you
can't resolve external names from those servers via nslookup, then chances are
your nameserver won't be able to use them as forwarders either.

Are you absolutely sure that you need to resolve Internet names, and that
facilities exist within your company to do so? If your firewalls are proxying
(or, in the case of SMTP, relaying) all permitted protocols, then it is quite
possible that your clients don't need the ability to resolve Internet names,
and if that is the case, there may be no facility to do so. Just thought I'd
ask.

Lastly, there still seems to be some intermingling between the 2 goals here:
1) establishing your subdomain on your intranet, and 2) gaining the ability to
resolve Internet names. The suggestion that you add NS'es for the company.com
servers to your db files, for instance, is relevant to (1) (assuming that they
will act as slaves to your zone), but not to (2).

- Kevin