Bind Newbie has questions about CNAMEs

Michael Schwager schwager at enteract.com
Mon Jan 17 23:46:00 UTC 2000

In the article to which I am replying, barmar at bbnplanet.com spanks
schwager at enteract.com in this fashion...
> Come on, if this isn't one of *the* most FAQ's, I don't know what is.  I
> just answered someone else 2 minutes ago.  Doesn't *anyone* read FAQs any
> more?

Sure, if they exist.  "bind faq" search at Yahoo returns one tiny little
paper.  A search of the Usenet FAQ's at RTFM reveals nothing.  You wanna
tell where it is, or are you happier complaining about it?

Like you've never been a newbie before, scratching your head over
something.

See, the problem is that I- like thousands of other newbies- though we
should *intrinsically* realize (not knowing the material, of course) that
such a question would be in an FAQ, we ask anyhow.  And quite naturally,
that's why it's not explained in the book... because the book's authors
realize that if they pointed it out, thousands of newbies would have no
questions to ask.

> The zone name cannot be a CNAME because it already has SOA and NS records,
> and a CNAME can't have other records.

BTW, thanks for answering my question.  And the spanking was great.  If I
get confused by anything else, I'll make sure to post to the newsgroup
first thing.
--
-Mike Schwager                         -o)
 schwager at enteract.com                 /\\