[Fwd: newbie nameserver]

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 17 16:48:58 UTC 2000

In article <38834266.FEA17D81 at csf.nl>, rkloots  <rkloots at csf.nl> wrote:
>and this is db.csf.nl:
>
># cat db.csf.nl
>; Created Tue Jan 11 23:27:49 WET 2000 by services/ns-admin
>; from setup at 127.0.0.1
>;
>@ IN SOA ns.csf.nl. postmaster.csf.nl. (
>        943214553 ; serial
>        21600 ; refresh
>        3600 ; retry
>        604800 ; expire
>        86400 ) ; min ttl
>
>csf.nl. IN NS   ns.csf.nl.
>csf.nl. IN NS   ns.nl.net.
>asterix.csf.nl. IN A    195.108.30.33
>ns.csf.nl.      IN A    195.108.30.33
>localhost       IN A    127.0.0.1
>www     IN CNAME        asterix
>csf.nl. IN MX   50 smtp.csf.nl.
>csf.nl. IN MX   100 smtp.nl.net.

Looks fine to me, except there's no A record for smtp.csf.nl.

However, this doesn't seem to be the whole zone file.  When I query your
server directly, I get:

tools:~#356% dig ns.csf.nl a @ns.csf.nl
;; ANSWERS:
ns.csf.nl.	86400	A	195.108.30.33
ns.csf.nl.	86400	CNAME	asterix.csf.nl.
asterix.csf.nl.	86400	A	195.108.30.33

There seem to be two entries for ns.csf.nl -- one of them is an A record,
the other is a CNAME record.  This is not allowed.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com