Annoying Error Message about a Fictitious Name Server

Tong tong at csusb.net
Sun Jan 16 09:10:46 UTC 2000

At 05:54 AM 1/16/00 -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
>	I see the following message frequently in the name server log.
>It has been edited by removing the time stamp so it will fit on a
>single line, but here it is.
>
>sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on ns3.cis.okstate.edu?
>
>	Does this mean that some misguided host is trying to use this
>nonexistent host?  We used to have an ns3.cis.okstate.edu a long time
>ago, but we don't even have an A record for any such system.
>
>	I would like to be able to stop this dripping faucet message
>but I am not sure where it comes from.
>
>Martin McCormick

This is an often-asked question. If you searched the archive
of this list you could find some answers to this question too.

This error occurred because you missed the
A record of the host in your name server.

I believe this happens most probably because
people register a secondary name server but
that name server does not exist yet and therefore
people do not bother to put its A record in the primary
name server.

Regards,

Tong