Round Robin DNS ?

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Sun Jan 16 09:56:49 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "P. Guethlein" <peterg at deltronix.com>

> I know that you can add a backup mail server by using mail2.yourdomain.com
> .  Will this also work for a web server www2.yourdomain.com ?

You can add any number of web, ftp, whois, IRC etc. servers to the DNS by
placing suitable A (or CNAME) records in the primary zone file for the
relevant domain. As long as the names are legal, they can be chosen
freely; there's nothing magic about e.g. "www2".

Note that if you want to do round robin, all the records for that service
need to have the same host name, as in the example below.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>