DNS "override" on private ip addresses?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jan 14 20:40:25 UTC 2000

In article <lmLf4.341$dT4.187926528 at newsb.telia.net>,
Jonas Larsen (remove nospam) <jola.nospam at hem.passagen.se> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I want all hosts using dns1 to get:
>unixlab1.company.com = 193.44.102.15
>
>And all hosts in the lab using dns2 to get:
>unixlab1.company.com = 192.168.254.15
>
>The problem is that dns2 have to use dns1 for lookups of hosts outside of
>the lab...
>
>Have do I make an "override" in dns2 for those few lab-hosts? Or any other
>solution?

Make dns2 a master server for the "unixlab1.company.com" zone, and put that
IP address in that zone file.  Have it use "forwarders { <dns1>; };" to
look up everything else through dns1.  I.e. named.conf will contain:

zone "unixlab1.company.com" {
  type master;
  file "db.unixlab1";
};

and the file db.unixlab1 will look like:

@ IN SOA ...
  IN NS dns2.company.com.
  IN A 192.168.254.15

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com