Bind & Sendmail

Christopher Kings-Lynne chriskl at nospam.tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 14 02:11:23 UTC 2000

> Now, however, I would like to implement fetchamail and sendmail to allow
all users to have, at least, local mail. The problem I am encountering is
that when sendmail communicates with the ISP's smtp server, it returns back
the error message that the domain "intra.net" must exist.
> Is there a way to correct other than registering a domain name or
sacrificing DNS?

I'm no expert, but...

The problem is the return address in the email.  If you get people to set
legal return addresses, it should work fine.  Unfortunately if you don't
have a domain registered, I assume that you actually _can't_ give them legal
return addresses...

If you use a legal return address, be sure to add it to your sendmail
relay-domains file...

Chris