Domain name as hostname

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 13 18:14:49 UTC 2000

Jack Wenzinger wrote:

> I have a requirement to create a DNS entry so that our domain is also a
> device that resolves to our www.company.com.  I had thought that this could
> be accomplished by creating a CNAME record like:
>
> company.com.   IN    CNAME   www.company.com.
>
> This worked on the Primary server, however it created two problems:
>
> The secondary server could no longer obtain the db.company file, it would
> now look at the www.company.com server for the file.
>
> The other problem is that mail was affected.  There is a statement for mail:
>
> comany.com.    IN    MX   5   mailserver1.company.com
>
> This statement precedes the CNAME statement above.
>
> Anyone know the proper way to set this up?  I wasn't able to find the info
> out of the Oreilly book.
>
> Thanks is advance for the hand holding.

3rd Edition, page 373. You can't a CNAME with the same name as a zone name.
This is part of a more general rule that you can't have a CNAME with the same
name as *any* kind of resource record. Since a zone requires at least an
SOA record and an NS record, it's just a special case of the rule.

Create an A record for this. If you wish, you could make "www" be a CNAME to
this A record.

- Kevin