TTL of MX records

John Horne john at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 10:13:48 UTC 2000

In article <20000112184143.C28566 at banba.domainregistry.ie>,
	James Raftery <james at domainregistry.ie> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 03:37:55PM +0000, John Horne wrote:
>> Alternatively does the nameserver realise that this is an MX
>> list and expire all the records? (I don't hink this happens as at all,
>> but I could be wrong.)
>
> TTLs apply to RR sets, not individual RRs. I would hope, though I have
> never tested it, that BIND would see your example as a zone file syntax
> error.

Apologies first, I guess I should have tested this. My PC has
2 MX records so I changed them to different values. It seems
that bind takes the lowest preference TTL and applies that to
all the MX records for that domain. Hence they will all timeout
at the same time. Pretty neat :-)

John.
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK         Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john at jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk