forwarding on zone base does'nt work; again

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 15:57:13 UTC 2000

> Thomas Stalder <tom at coco.ch> wrote:
>>I'm running Bind 8.2.2-P5 on a Sun Ultra 5, with Solaris 7.
>>Configured as master for a few 'internal' domains and slave for
>>a few more 'internal' domains. This works fine so far.
>>I tried to set up a forwarder for another internal domain,
>>which does not allow zone transfers.
>>
>>This does not work. I get following:
>>
>>Jan 12 15:49:12 dns001 named[164]: /etc/named.conf:59: syntax error near
>>forward

>>zone "firm-internal.com" in {         //  <- line 58  (my comments)
>>      type forward;
>>      forward only;
>>      forwarders {
>>      10.41.8.91;                             //  <- Intranet  Name Server
>>      };
>>};

I would say that it is your 'type forward' that is wrong. You are asking for
the local name server to resolve queries if it can (from its cache or
authoritative data), and if not *then* forward the request (forward only)
to other name server (forwarders {...}). However, you haven't said what type
of server the local one is.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to do though. If you are
not master or secondary for the zone, but have it delegated then can't you
just add the NS and A records for their name server to your own zone file?
Any queries would then hit your name server; have nothing local but the NS
records and pass them back. The query then goes directly to the zone's master
name server. You don't need any special named.conf zone entry as it were for
them - just NS and A records in your own zone file.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john at jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk