Need help with a STRANGE configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 12 21:33:13 UTC 2000

Larry Mackley wrote:

> In article <387A5615.B4780E86 at daimlerchrysler.com>,
>   Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> > Barry Margolin wrote:
> >
> > With my {ahem!} unofficial patch, you could even use a hints file
> with your
> > default forwarder! But in that case, you'd still have to define all
> of the
> > top-level zones as "forwarders {}" in order to inhibit default
> forwarding and thus
> > enable the use of the internal root(s) for those domains.

> Would this also work if someone wanted to implement their own top level
> domain internally (ie .internal in place of .com)?
>
> zone ".internal" {
>     type slave;
>     file "<some file>";
>     forwarders {};
>     masters { <internal DNS server address>; };
>
> zone "subsidiary.internal" {
>     type slave;
>     file "<some file>";
>     forwarders {};
>     masters { <another internal DNS server address>; };

That works fine, as Barry pointed out, with the proviso that there are no
leading dots in the zone name. It doesn't require any special patches.

Of course, hopefully it's obvious that you can't be a slave for *any*
zone, regardless of whether it's a bogus top-level domain or not, unless
you have connectivity and zone-transfer permission with the master server.
If you want to manage the domain yourself, then define it as master.

- Kevin