Unknown error in msg log........

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 11 20:20:01 UTC 2000

McFadden, Ken wrote:

> > I keep getting the following error in the message file....Does anyone know
> > why????  I've tried doing a named-xfer manually and I get a return code of
> > 1 and this error message in the message file.  Bind seems to be running
> > fine except my message file keeps getting huge........
> >
> > <TIME> ns2 named-xfer[<pid>]:  [<ip address of ns1>] not authoritative for
> > 10.198.IN-ADDR.ARPA, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount 0

Is the message not rather self-explanatory? ns1 isn't answering authoritatively
-- i.e. doesn't consider itself master or slave -- for the zone. This may be
because the master or slave definition was removed from its configuration,
because there is a syntax error in the zone file, or perhaps because it's a
slave and the zone expired.

Speaking of which, if you have only 1 master configured for that zone, it's
going to expire unless you can get the problem fixed within the expire interval
(although there are tricks you can play to keep it alive longer than that).

- Kevin