Unapproved update?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jan 10 23:15:14 UTC 2000

>In my experience it's the commonest source of spurious update attempts.
>I finally got a look at W2K last week and it seems to attempt dynamic
>updates by default. Grr.

I was on vacation last week, so I am behind in reading the postings.
This answer may have already been given since Friday.

Win2K Workstation will by default attempt to register itself (both
forward and reverse entries).  To disable it follow this procedure:

    To see what options are set:
    Start
         Settings
               Network and Dialup
                     Local Area
                           Properties
                                Adapter
                                     Protocols
                                          TCP/IP
                                                    DNS
    The "Register this name" box should NOT be checked.
    If you need to uncheck the box, then you must reboot for the change
    to take effect.

We here at Argonne have a copy of the final (i.e., Release to
Manufacturing [RTM]) Win2k code, and we are beginning to test the
differences from RC2.  I have reported some RC2 bugs to MS, but I
doubt that they were fixed in the RTM release.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov