Need help with a STRANGE configuration

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 10 22:20:32 UTC 2000

In article <387A5615.B4780E86 at daimlerchrysler.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <slrn87k8fl.gan.lurker at angband.org>,
>> Chris A. Henesy <lurker at NO.SPAM.cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>> >What I would like to do is set up BIND on my box so that it is a cacheing
>> >nameserver that forwards requests for machines in mydomain.com,
>> >subdomain.mydomain.com, moresubdomains.mydomain.com, etc., to our internal
>> >DNS server, and requests for all other domains to the ISP's DNS server.
>> >(My machine itself will store no zonefiles)
>>
>> options {
>>   forwarders { <ISP's DNS server address>; };
>>   forward only;
>> };
>>
>> zone "mydomain.com" {
>>   type forward;
>>   forwarders { <internal DNS server address>; };
>> };
>>
>> The "type forward" zone was introduced in BIND 8.2.
>
>Note that if the internal server doesn't allow recursive queries, zones of type
>"forward" aren't going to work. In that case, you'll *have* to store some
>internal-zone information on your box, but only for the top-level zone of each
>internal domain. You can define these as either

He said he wanted queries for all subdomains of their internal domain to be
sent to that nameserver, not to other internal nameservers.  So either they
don't have different servers for the subdomains, or it allows recursive
queries.  I can't think of why someone would disable recursion on an
internal-only nameserver, anyway.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com