PTR record for CNAME

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jan 7 23:28:05 UTC 2000

In article <387661ab.78634984 at news.intelenet.net>,
WAKA <news at walknet.net> wrote:
>Is there a way to create a reverse lookup for both the  CNAME and the
>actual name ?

No.  The DNS specification specifically states that PTR records must point
to canonical names, not aliases.

>Example:
>
> actual-name                 IN  A     		actual-address.
> aliased-name                IN  CNAME	 actual-name.
>
> actual-addrerss.IN-ADDR.ARPA.  IN  PTR    actual-name.
> actual-addrerss.IN-ADDR.ARPA.  IN  PTR    aliased-name.
>
>When a reverse lookup is performed on the actual-name it works
>(because its listed first, I assume), but on the CNAME it doesn't.
>This makes sence since I can't have ambigious information in the
>records, but is there a way to have both names available to a reverse
>lookup ?

What do you mean by "reverse lookup is performed on the actual-name".
Reverse lookups are performed on IP addresses, not names.

If you perform a reverse lookup of that address, you should get *both* PTR
records.  If you're only getting one PTR record back, something is wrong
with the tool you're using.  DIG, NSLOOKUP, and HOST will all show both of
them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com