DNS wheel spinning

Edsonet administrator at yellowhead.com
Fri Jan 7 22:00:09 UTC 2000

Our DNS log is full of logs like the following, and has been for some time:

DNS Informational: <3>Dec 29 08:08:47 syslog: ns_resp: server name
mismatch for [216.32.119.8]: (n8g.ak.amaitech.net!=n8g.a.yimg.com)
(server for a1.g.a.yimg.com).

There are others, but the biggest culprits by far are ICQ and YAHOO. What are
they doing that causes so many of these informational logs? There does not
seem to be any harm done; I would just like to know why these particular
sites cause so much wheel spinning. They will go through a list of 6 or 7
sites before they find a satisfactory one, and it seems like a very
inefficient process.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro