Looking for RFC

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jan 7 14:33:11 UTC 2000

Ingo T. Storm wrote:

> > Be that as it may, a machine can have a "hostname" without being connected
> > *any* network. Or I could give a "hostname" to my dog.
>
> But still you won't be able to telnet to your dog to tell it to sit if you
> name it "-@''%20".
>
> The point I am trying to make is that all the tools built around the TCP/IP
> suite most rightly assume that your hosts have conforming names.

And I'm just saying that it's a bit of a stretch to say that any RFC can define
what it acceptable for a "hostname". Despite what Sun has been saying for
years, the network is the network and the computer is the computer, not all
computers are on networks. Even when they are, the protocols they use may be
outside the scope of any RFC.

> And now don't say you don't telnet your dog to make it sit down;-)

Actually, I don't even have a dog, but if I did, I'd probably use one of the
FIDO protocols to accomplish that task :-)

- Kevin