cache only servers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jan 7 14:31:21 UTC 2000

    Joaquim> Hi I´m configuring some cache only servers in the lowest
    Joaquim> level of the DNS tree in my internal network. Can I
    Joaquim> specify in the cache (hint) file an upper domain, or it
    Joaquim> is useless and the DNS always goes to root server?

The information in the hints file is used by your name server to find
out where the real root servers are. If you're on the internet, your
name servers should use the file that the Internic provides
at ftp.rs.internic.net/domains/named.cache. (It's also there as
named.ca and named.root.) If you're on an network that has its own
internal root servers, you need to create a hints file with NS and A
records for those root servers rather than the Internet ones.

You can probably get away with putting details of any name server that
knows about the real root name servers in the hints file, but why
bother? There's probably no point in using a hints file with other
stuff in it. It'll just complicate the DNS admin and confuse people if
each name server has its own hints file. Just use the same one
everywhere on your net.