Using /etc/hosts to resolve names...what am I doing wrong?

Bob Willcox bob at luke.immure.com
Thu Jan 6 13:48:13 UTC 2000

Back in the old days (prior to bind8) I used to be able to put entries
in my /etc/hosts file for hosts not in the DNS.  Now (with bind 8.2.2p5)
that doesn't work for me anymore.  I have created an /etc/irs.conf file
with the following entries in it (taken straight from the irs.conf man
page):

   # Hosts comes first from DNS, failing that, the local file
   hosts           dns     continue
   hosts           local

but still with no luck.

This is on a FreeBSD 3.4-stable system with the bind8 port installed
(bind 8.2.2p5).  Anybody have any suggestions or pointers on what I
may have overlooked?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox                 Don't tell me that worry doesn't do any good.
bob at immure.com              I know better. The things I worry about don't