Can you run DNS Server with IP assigned by DHCP?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jan 4 23:16:23 UTC 2000

> One possible complication, however, is that since you're getting your
> address via DHCP, your ISP may be telling you what nameservers to use via
> DHCP also, and this may be overriding your static resolver configuration.

Actually, it's the other way around.  Static resolver configuration
overrides
DHCP-assigned configuration.

> If this is the case, then unless you can convince your ISP to tell your
> machine to use itself as a nameserver, you may have to figure out a way to
> make your machine ignore the nameserver information in DHCP and use the
> statically-configured information instead. How you would do this, frankly
> I don't have a clue, other than to speculate that it would be very
> dependent on your DHCP client implementation.

The bigger question is what you put in your static resolver configuration.
You can't use your real IP address, since you don't know it until DHCP
assigns it, and if I recall correctly, Windows stacks don't like address
0.  I guess you could try the loopback address, but I don't know that
the Microsoft DNS Server listens on the loopback address.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.