Searchlist problems

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jan 4 20:20:36 UTC 2000

> i run a nameserver (BIND 4.9.7) on a SGI Challenge L Irix 6.2.
> My domain is klch.med.uni-muenchen.de.
>
> I use
>
> search klch.med.uni-muenchen.de med.uni-muenchen.de
>
> in my /etc/resolv.conf
>
> when is try to resolve a adress not in my domain for example:
>
> ghn05d.hno
>
> is expect that the questions to the name-server are:
> (via nslookup, set debug)
>
> 1. ghn05d.hno.klch.med.uni-muenchen.de (that's the case) -> will fail
> 1. ghn05d.hno.med.uni-muenchen.de which should return the correct Address
>
> instead of this the resolver queries one of the root-servers
> (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) which is outside of our firewall.
>
> ghn05d.hno -> Non-existant host/domain
>
> Am i completely wrong?
> Any hints?

If this is a newer BIND resolver, it will notice that the name you typed,
ghn05d.hno, has a dot in it.  By default, if a name to be looked up has
at least one dot in it, newer BIND resolvers will look up the name
as-is (i.e., "ghn05d.hno") first.  After that lookup returns a negative
answer, however, the resolver should go on to apply the search
list.  It sounds like that's not what you're seeing, right?

It also sounds like the nslookup you're using doesn't match the
version of the system's resolver.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.