Name Server Problems

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jan 4 20:16:06 UTC 2000

> Does anyone out there know what may be going on here?  I have another
> server that connects perfectly well, but this one does not.  I tried
> identifying two name servers in db.zoneinfo (this server is a windows NT
> machine) rather than the one, because this was trying to use 209.61.89.145
> as the name server, and the working one was identifying 199.0.65.2 as the
> only name server when I did an nslookup.  The gambit of adding the second
> explicit name server seems to have worked, in that I get responses now to
> nslookup, but it remains that 209.... is apparently not functioning as a
> name server, or at least is not recognized.  Here is the information from
> some of the diagnostics.
>
> The problem now appears to be that 209.61.89.145 is for some reason not
> recognizable as a server/host/...
>
> [nslookup at command prompt
> First response is that cannot find server name for 209.61.89.145  Non
> existent host/domain.]

You're missing reverse mapping information for the name server at
209.61.89.145:

# dig -x 209.61.89.145

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> -x
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      145.89.61.209.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
89.61.209.in-addr.arpa.  1D IN SOA  pri7.dns.psi.net. hostmaster.psi.com. (
                                        938459689       ; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        30M             ; retry
                                        4w2d            ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

Contact hostmaster at psi.com about getting the necessary PTR record
added.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.