Can you run DNS Server with IP assigned by DHCP?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jan 4 19:22:34 UTC 2000

In article <MPG.12db713d449f7d52989680 at news.telusplanet.net>,
David Cost <dcost at post.com> wrote:
>Since getting ADSL service a few months back I noticed that the IP,
>although dynamic, in fact has not changed for months. So I thought,
>"instead of using the Public DNS, why not set up my server as a DNS
>server. My IP changes so infrequently, if and when it does, I can go and
>reset the IP address in the nameserver entry to my domain record on
>Internic, and in the meantime use the Public DNS as my Secondary to fall
>back on."
>
>However, after setting up the DNS server and creating a zone, if I do an
>nslookup query, instead of getting my nameserver, I see that of the ISP.
>So I'm unsure, have I not set up my ZOne files correctly, or am I
>barking up the wrong tree because no matter what I do, I cannot use an
>IP address that is assigned to me by the ISP's DHCP server and expect it
>to function in the same manner as a true static IP assigned to me by an
>ISP?

When you do "nslookup", it queries the servers that are listed in your
/etc/resolv.conf.  Setting up a DNS server on your machine doesn't
automatically make the machine use itself as the server, you need to edit
that file.

Also, it's possible that the DHCP client on your machine is automatically
updating that file to list the DNS servers that your ISP is telling you to
use.  Perhaps there's a way to configure the DHCP client so that it ignores
that setting that the ISP sends you, and leaves the file alone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com