stub resolver timeout

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Jan 3 22:38:51 UTC 2000

> On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 11:22:14AM -0500, j j wrote:
> > Another question regarding stub resolvers ...
>
> What are they?  I have never heard of them.

A minimal resolver implementation, usually as part of a
shared library, that requests recursive name resolution
because it lacks the sophistication to follow referrals.

> > If I have 2 name servers list in my clients resolv.conf file, what is
the
> > timeout algorithm used by the client.  And should I expect the same
behavior
> > for DNS clients from HP, SUN, Linux, MS and ...

You'd be woefully mistaken if you expected the same
behavior from Microsoft.

> There have been a couple of different algorithms used by the ISC
> resolver over the years, which I don't remember.  This is what is used
> by most Unix and Unix-like systems.  Who knows what MS does?  Oh, yes:
> tools made specially for testing DNS may/will have different behaviour,
> e.g., 'nslookup'.

The timeouts have been documents in "DNS and BIND"
since the first edition, in the chapter called "Configuring
Hosts."

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.