BIND usage statistics

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 25 00:44:06 UTC 2000

In article <38B5C838.78B69DA0 at daimlerchrysler.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>My *guess* would be that the vast majority of Internet DNS servers run
>BIND 8 or something based on BIND 8 code. After that, probably the
>largest numbers are running non-BIND-derived nameservers. After that,
>buggy, insecure BIND 4. No-one should be running BIND 9 in production
>since it's only a first beta
>and is heavily disclaimed against production use.

My guess would be that most ISPs are running BIND 8, but many, and perhaps
even most, non-ISPs are running the version of BIND that came with their
server OS.  Until NT came along, the majority of DNS servers were probably
on Suns, and until Solaris 7 they supplied BIND 4 (BIND 4.8 until something
like Solaris 2.5, I think).  I administer our slave DNS servers, and I
rarely encounter customers running BIND 8 (but maybe that's because sites
savvy enough to run BIND 8 also don't have the problems that cause me to
have to interact with them on DNS issues).

Since NT, we're seeing more and more customers running Microsoft's DNS, sad
to say.  It probably hasn't caught up to all the legacy servers running
BIND 8, but probably will in a couple of years.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com