In DNS Hell Redefined

Abbie abbie at spystop.com
Wed Feb 23 19:56:40 UTC 2000

I am new to Unix. DSN is currently working, however, I am trying to add five
additional domain names. Example: www.kidspy.com. I created a file called
db.kidspy, I increased the serial number by one (all other db. files have
the serial number of 1999120101) , and augmented the named.boot and
resolv.conf to reflect this new domain. I located the PID and killed the
in.named file. The nslookup command states "incite005.lockpicking.com can't
find www.kidspy.com: Non-existent host/domain". If it is worth knowing, we
are using Netscape Enterprise Suitespot and not using NIS. Did I miss adding
information somewhere. This is a great newsgroup. Thank you all for your
assistance.

Here is my DB.KIDSPY

kidspy.com. IN SOA incite005.kidspy.com. root.incite005.kidspy.com. (
1999120102
10800      ; Refresh after 3 hours
3600        ; Retry after 1
604800    ; Expire after 1 week
86400 )   ; Minimum TTL 1 day

kidspy.com.          IN NS  incite005.kidspy.com.
                            IN MX 5 mail.kidspy.com.

incite005.kidspy.com.  IN A   209.183.95.170
ftp.kidspy.com.        IN A   209.183.95.170
telnet.kidspy.com.     IN A   209.183.95.170
www.kidspy.com.     IN A   209.183.95.170
kidspy.com.            IN A   209.183.95.170
mail.kidspy.com.       IN A   209.183.95.162

Here's my NAMED.BOOT

;
;       named.boot file for primary name server
;
directory       /var/named
primary      0.0.127.in-addr.arpa             db.local
primary      lock-pick.com                       db.lock-pick
primary      law-enforcer.com                  db.law-enforcer
primary      lockpicking.com                    db.lockpicking
primary      spystop.com                          db.spystop
primary      my-secret.com                       db.my-secret
primary      95.183.209.in-addr.arpa        db.209.183.95
primary      kidspy.com                            db.kidspy
primary      badboybooks.com                 db.badboybooks
cache           .                                          db.ca

Here's My RESOLV.CONF:

domain lockpicking.com lock-pick.com law-enforcer.com spystop.com kidspy.com
nameserver 209.183.95.170

MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
Lost my administrator. DNS is already setup. I am trying to add additional
URL's. I modified the named.boot and resolv.conf files and created the
db.newurl file. I killed the in.named daemon to refresh the data and It will
not recognize the URL. I have my server on site, my DNS is also getting
resolved from an ISP prior to my Sun Box. I am using Solaris 2.6. I am
previously an NT person. UNIX is not my forte... confusion is an under
estimation. Any suggestions for an idiot to UNIX learning on the fly without
a UNIX educational budget.