dns question

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 23 09:22:47 UTC 2000

>>>>> "neal" == neal elliott <nealelliott at earthlink.com> writes:

    neal> Hello i have redhat 6.1 runing bind 8.2.1. when i do a
    neal> nslookup of the hosts in my local network i get
    neal> Non-authoritative answer: and then the systems ip
    neal> address. what is wrong ? can anyone help me out?

Unless you've configured your name server to be authoritative - master
or slave - for your local zones, nothing is wrong. Since you didn't
provide that information, we can't tell if that's the case or not. If
your name server is supposed to be authoritative for the local zones,
then there is a problem. There's probably an error in the zone file or
named.conf file that has prevented the zone data from being loaded
properly. This will be reported in the logs. Did you check them?

BTW, 8.2.1 has security holes. Upgrade to the current version, 8.2.2P5.