out of memory

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 23 09:16:18 UTC 2000

    Jim> An odd problem as arisen in our use of bind8.2.2p5...  named
    Jim> has been dying off and on now for a few weeks...  it's very
    Jim> very sporatic and doesn't log much when it does.  e.g.:

    Jim> Feb 22 16:25:46 ns1 named[15412]: rrsetadd: out of memory
    Jim> finddata: out of memory

    Jim> or the very wierd one...

    Jim>   Feb 18 23:46:12 ns1 named[15265]: ns_main.c:1719:
    Jim> INSIST(evDeselectFD(ev, qp->evID_w) != -1): Invalid argument
    Jim> failed.

    Jim> I've searched through this group and found some talking about
    Jim> virutual memory evaporating.  The machine this runs on has
    Jim> 2GB of physical memory and 2GB of swap space.  I wouldn't
    Jim> think it would be a memory problem...

Just because you've got a lot of RAM or VM doesn't necessarily mean
that the name server can use it all. Perhaps the OS has a default
limit on a process's data size and your name server has started to hit
those limits? Find out what these limits are, if any, and adjust them
for the name server if necessary. You can also try the datasize option
in named.conf. However this might not work as expected if you make the
name server request a data limit that's bigger than the OS allows.