mirroring email server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 23 01:49:11 UTC 2000

Glen Gold wrote:

> Hello  gentle friends,
>
> I require info about mirroring an email server and its obvious inclusion
> within DNS records. If the question is tedious to some, accpet my
> apologies, and simply point me to somewhere where I'm able to find the
> answer ;)
>
> Scenerio : 2 mail servers, I want incoming mail to be duplicated to either
> server.This should not be done from primary mail server as the load is
> uneccessary. An entry within DNS should be sufficient.

I don't understand the requirements. You want to duplicate mail? DNS can
*route* mail to servers via MX records, but it can't specify duplication.
With MX records, you can specify that mail should be delivered to one server
if another is down, or that a server should be picked at random from a list
of servers (for load-balancing), but MX-capable mail servers will still only
deliver the message *once*, not to every server in the MX list.

Or, maybe you meant something else by "duplicated"??

- Kevin