Dual DNS and Network Translations

peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu
Tue Feb 22 23:30:18 UTC 2000

cyforce at my-deja.com wrote:
> I got the book Windows NT DNS from New Riders by Michael Masterson.
> Did not have time to go through all the books at book store so I just
> bought one and start reading.

> This is what I want to run.  Our OWN DNS Server.

> This is what we have right now

> ISP <-> Cisco Router <-> NAT <-> Internal Network W/ DNS

What is the 'NAT' item ?

Using an OpenBSD (which in itself is a good firewall + NAT) you
could run your external DNS in that one (serving outer space) and have
your internal DNS (serving your LAN).

The inside DNS might be configured to 'forward all' to the outer one.

It's doable with all known BSD and linuzes as well as solarises too...

> What I want is and EXTERNAL DNS Server.
> From what the book says , it appears that I would need another router.

> Is there a way to do it without another router ?

> And Do I setup one primary external and the internal will be secondary
> fowarding request to the primary ?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Peter Håkanson
Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
peter (at) manet (dot) nu | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"