Windows 2000 interoperability with BIND 8.2.2.5

Craig Mason cmason at masontechnology.com
Tue Feb 22 23:26:29 UTC 2000

Hi,

I'm trying something interesting. Running BIND 8.2.2.5 on Solaris 2.51
machine. Creating an Active Directory/Windows 2000 implementation. We are
attempting to use BIND DNS as the authoritative source for DNS in the
organization, instead of using Windows 2000 as the authoritative source.
We're going with a single domain that matches the currently existing root
domain inside the company (let's call it zzz.com)

".110" is a W2K host called DC1.zzz.com. The Solaris (103.14) host has been
set to be authoritative for the zzz.com domain.

I currently have an "allow-update {all;} ;" statement in the config files
for BIND to make sure I'm getting Dynamic DNS entries from the W2K Servers.
For the most part, I do indeed see all the new entries that a Windows 2000
Domain Controller will throw into the zone file. Occasionally, I get errors:

Getting the following error on the Solaris / BIND side:

"xxx" and "yyy" were added for privacy:

22-Feb-2000 12:20:08.540 update: error processing update packet (REFUSED) id
5696 from [xxx.yyy.103.110].2676
22-Feb-2000 13:16:01.116 update: error processing update packet (REFUSED) id
336 from [xxx.yyy.103.111].1944
22-Feb-2000 13:20:10.736 update: error processing update packet (REFUSED) id
5756 from [xxx.yyy.103.110].2920
22-Feb-2000 14:16:03.844 update: error processing update packet (REFUSED) id
374 from [xxx.yyy.103.111].2073
22-Feb-2000 14:20:13.497 update: error processing update packet (REFUSED) id
5816 from [xxx.yyy.103.110].3157

Looks like they are occurring each half hour.

On the W2K side we're getting:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	NETLOGON
Event Category:	None