round-robin and multi MX practicalities

Alex Miller bind at lists.cybergood.net
Tue Feb 22 22:31:51 UTC 2000

I had a server go down recently. It's the
second failure I've had in 6 months both
times were my error. What a different and
refreshing world Linux is (as compared to
Windows not other Unixes), when I can no
longer blame the OS for down time!!

Anyway, I want to set up a SECOND server
for the next time I screw up.

Round-robining should work fine for a web
server, if one is down, the other is available,
that I understand, but multiple MX records
are a different story.

If a user has not picked up mail on server A
and then server A goes down, and mail gets
handeled by server B, mail might get lost
when server A goes back online. All the
mail that collected on server B during server
A's absence, will not be collected once server
A is handling collections.

Therefore I must, I presume, synchronize the
user mail on server A and server B. This could
be rather scary I would think, and I imagine
all sorts of nasty file locking problems, etc.

What solutions are being used to use two servers
for web redundancy and email redundancy?

Alex Miller

Signature:
the email address this is sent from
is may be an anti-spam defense. Ignore it
completely.  Instead, rely on an email
address I have already provided or
<mailto:reply-nospam at bannerclub.com>
removing the "-nospam"