NAMED and multiple addresses on the same interface

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Feb 22 04:52:51 UTC 2000

> > > I have two IP addresses on exp0 under BSDI 4.1 that I want both to
> "listen"
> > > for dns queries with BIND 8.2.2p5.  I was under the impression that
> named
> > > would automatically starting "listen"ing on those addresses when named
> was
> > > started unless there was a listen-on { } directive in the
> /etc/named.conf.
> > > I have checked the output of syslogd, and it shows that the IP address
> is
> > > being used, but when I specify nslookup to resolve with the second IP
> > > address (216.119.0.192), it responds:
> > >
> > > *** Can't find server name for address 216.119.0.192: Non-existent
> > > host/domain
> > > *** Default servers are not available
> > >
> > > I have nmapped the IP 216.119.0.192, and sure enough port 53 is open.
> > > make sure that it was using that IP address, I added the listen-on
> > > directive, but it still does not respond to DNS queries.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >

> > Using nslookup and not knowing nslookups requirments for
> > a valid server.  If the reverse lookup of the IP address
> > of the server fails using the server nslookup will skip
> > the server.
> >
> > Dig is a better diagnostic tool than nslookup.
>
> I used dig right after I sent out the email.  First, I tried `dig www
> @216.119.0.192` which did not produce any results.  But then afterwards,
> `dig @216.119.0.192 www` which did produce the results that I was looking
> for.

	Both dig commands produce the same result.  The second would have
	come from the cache.

> I do have the reversing set up correctly, and the hostname
> resolves without a problem.

	You do?

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> -x @216.119.0.192
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	192.0.119.216.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
0.119.216.in-addr.arpa.  1H IN SOA  ns1.jps.net. netops.jps.net. (
					200002181	; serial
					2H		; refresh
					1H		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1H )		; minimum

;; Total query time: 560 msec
;; FROM: bsdi.dv.isc.org to SERVER: 216.119.0.192
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 22 15:47:44 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 44  rcvd: 120

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com