Problems with NDC under linux

andlil at towerrecords.com andlil at towerrecords.com
Fri Feb 18 20:13:59 UTC 2000

Hi,

I have BIND 8.2.2p5 installed on an Apple Network Server 700/150 running
Yellow Dog Linux (RH based, PPC linux).
The daemon runs fine when started manually (ie: "/usr/sbin/named").  But,
when trying to use ndc I get errors.

If I try to use ndc to start named ("/usr/sbin/ndc start"), I get back the
error: "ndc: error: name server has not started (yet?)".  In the syslog
output, I get the corresponding errors: "named[15621]: unix control
"/var/run/ndc" socket failed: Invalid argument" and "named[15621]:
ctl_server: socket: Invalid argument"  However, named does get started.

If I then try to stop the running named using ndc, I get back the errors:
"ndc: error: ctl_client: socket: Invalid argument" and "ndc: error: cannot
connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)".  There are no corresponding
errors logged to syslog.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew