Q regarding Secondary DNS

Johan Fredrik Öhman johan at essay.org
Thu Feb 17 22:20:23 UTC 2000

Hi,  I have a machine (linux RHAT 6.2) connected to the Internet (2Mbit -
line).
On this machine I have installed bind without any problems, I have also read
the DNS-HOWTO.
But, I have very little information regarding secondary nameserver. If I
have understood this right
internic.net demands an secondary nameserver for me to "host" my domains. I
got quite a collection of domain names,  and I'm adding and removing zones,
do I have to edit anything on the secondary name server then ?  Or is the
secondary nameserver maintainance-free once I have configured it ?  Still, I
don't know how to configure an secondary name server.
I'd like to have some info on just that.  Thanks

Here are some of my configuration-files....

/etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/var/named";
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};
zone "boyzvoice.com"{
        type master;
        file "domain/boyzvoice.com";
};
zone "oslosentrum.com"{
        type master;
        file "domain/oslosentrum.com";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

cat /var/named/domain/oslosentrum.com
@               IN      SOA     fido.workone.com.
hostmaster.fido.workone.com. (
                        2000021301 ; serial
                        3600 ; refresh
                        900 ; retry
                        1209600 ; expire
                        43200 ; default_ttl
                        )
@               IN      MX      5       fido.workone.com.
@               IN      NS      fido.workone.com.
@               IN      A       193.90.254.202

[root at fido named]# cat named.local
@               IN      SOA     localhost.      root.localhost. (
                        1997022700 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        14400 ; retry
                        3600000 ; expire
                        86400 ; default_ttl
                        )
@               IN      NS      localhost.
1               IN      PTR     localhost.

--
Thanks a lot
JFO