round robin, prioritize DNS results

Sandeep Kansal skansal at mantraonline.com
Thu Feb 17 04:46:40 UTC 2000

If you running LDAP , then for searching your all the server(LDAP one), there is
no need to put the entry in name server's file.Just put all server address in
your /etc/hosts file.It will not send the request to the DNS server for locating
IP .

Sandeep Kansal

Nikos Voutsinas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have nine servers spread all over my country. Those servers are LDAP
> servers, mail servers,.....
> To ensure high availability I have to use something like round robin in DNS
> (most of the clients, e.g. LDAP clients can be configured to search only one
> LDAP server)
> The problem with DNS round robins is that they make no attempt to prioritize
> DNS results (e.g. based on network location)
> Is there anyway so I can make DNS return first hosts on the local network,
> before trying hosts that are farther away.
>
> Nikos Voutsinas

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: skansal.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Sandeep Kansal