DNS server cannot poll its own BIND service

janl at linpro.no janl at linpro.no
Wed Feb 16 18:02:21 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> tastet:
> In article <30604.950703267 at nfsd.linpro.no>,  <janl at linpro.no> wrote:
> >This is a interesting passage, and I don't understand what it is trying
> >to say.  I've always "known" that you need a /etc/resolv.conf to get
> >DNS resolving to work.
>
> Then you've "known" wrong.  If there's no resolv.conf, it's equivalent to
> one that contains:
>
> domain <suffix of hostname>
> nameserver 0.0.0.0

In that case, in answer to the original poster, I can say that the
'bind-utils', such as host and nslookup on Linux (redhat 6.1) continues
to work when there is a local nameserver and the resolv.conf file is
removed.

Tools using libc to do their resolving (such as ssh) fails.  This
appears to be a bug in glibc2.1, at least as found in redhat 6.1,
then.

Nicolai