round robin, prioritize DNS results

Nikos Voutsinas nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr
Wed Feb 16 09:08:11 UTC 2000

Hello,

I have nine servers spread all over my country. Those servers are LDAP
servers, mail servers,.....
To ensure high availability I have to use something like round robin in DNS
(most of the clients, e.g. LDAP clients can be configured to search only one
LDAP server)
The problem with DNS round robins is that they make no attempt to prioritize
DNS results (e.g. based on network location)
Is there anyway so I can make DNS return first hosts on the local network,
before trying hosts that are farther away.

Nikos Voutsinas