Resolve all domains to one name?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 15 20:09:48 UTC 2000

M. Oesterwinter wrote:

> Forgive me ignorance (the DNS and Bind book is on the way).
> I am not sure what the root zone is.
> By root zone file, do you mean the named.conf?

No, that's the configuration file for named. The DNS database is divided into
zones in a hierarchy, and the "root zone" is the top zone of that hierarchy.
Not something to be tinkered with casually.

> Also, I inquired before, but haven't received a response.  What is the
> difference between have the IN in zone files.  Example:
>
> www     IN      A       192.168.1.1
> versus
> www     A               192.168.1.1

DNS supports multiple "classes" or namespaces. The "Internet" class, ("IN") is

by far the most widely used. If you don't specify a class in a Resource Record

("RR"), then the IN class is assumed. So those 2 RRs are functionally
identical.

- Kevin