MX with alias

jade.roberts at srs.gov jade.roberts at srs.gov
Tue Feb 15 14:40:55 UTC 2000

Hi Cricket,

>I'm not sure why you'd want to allow this,

I don't want it to be set up that way which is why I removed the alias
before the upgrade.  But it seems our site's standard WIN95 configuration
points to the ALIAS as the mailserver.  Of course, no one reported a
problem until 4 days after the alias was removed (I'll be paying for this
awhile).   The problem has been fixed by removing the MX record.

Thanks to all that responded.

Jade Roberts
WSRC - ITD/Network Operations
803-725-0210      Pager 11089

                    Cricket Liu
                    <cricket at acmebw        To:     bind-users at isc.org
                    .com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: MX with alias
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    02/15/00 00:11

Hi, Jade.

> I just upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.2.2 and found that a zone won't load
> because an MX record also has a CNAME record (it used to generate an
> error message with 8.1.2 but continued on).  Is there a way to allow
> this without deleting the alias?

No, there's not.  "CNAME and other data" is now a hard error.  You
should fix it by either deleting the CNAME or attaching the MX record
to the target of the alias.

I'm not sure why you'd want to allow this, since I'd guess the results
you'd get when looking up MX records could be unpredictable.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.